Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sing!


Alas, my love, how you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously
For I have loved you well and long
Delighting in your company
-Greensleeves verse 1

Picture if you will a land with no television, no computer, no xbox 360, Nintendo, Playstation, electricity, (indoor plumbing) nothing entertaining. Sounds boring, right? Of course it does! So, you're sitting around with your friends with nothing to do (no school! YES!) and you're bored out of your mind. The solution? Music of course! Now that it's the middle ages, music is changing all around. Where songs from the church used to reign supreme, new songs and poems about far off places or heros are coming into the light. And to make things better, travelers have brought back beautiful new instruments that make sounds you didn't even know were possible. And, since you have no ipod, you have memorized numerous songs from all around. Since you know so much about music and poetry and you've learned it doesn't all have to revolve around church (but don't tell the priest). Songs and poems about love found, love lost, love desired are bubbling up to the surface. Sick of love? There's plenty of other genres to keep you entertained. Many songs even have historical stories behind them. Court singers could often be turned to by the king because of the historical knowledge they carried just from their songs. So if you're a singer, not only do you have something to do on a Saturday night, you could also recive a lot of respect. At least, that's how it used to be. Things have since changed. Songs nowadays have since lost their importance beyond something to distract you in long car ride. But that's not to say that new music doesn't still sound awesome! Just imagine if they'd had an electric guitar in the middle ages!

Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight
Greensleeves was my heart of gold,
And who but my lady Greensleeves
-Greensleeves chorus

1 comment:

  1. I think that it's really cool how you related it to modern times. I have no clue what I would do without my iPod, it sounds pretty crazy to have to live like that. Not only did you relate it to modern times, but also you found a great way to get the reader's attention by making it more personal. Another thing you did well was how you kept referring back to the comparison of modern times to the Medieval ones. It made me think deeply about the changes in my lifestyle that would take place if I were somehow put into a time machine and forced to live back then. Overall, this entry of your blog was amazing. Awesome job (:

    ReplyDelete